My BMW R1150 GSAA at Deals' Gap

Powered by Squarespace
« Hyper-Lite Flashing LED Motorcycle Brake Lights - Great Customer Service! | Main | Power-output level "hack" for the ICOM F21GM GMRS Radio »
Saturday
Aug152009

Batteries America CBE-210N Battery Eliminator Update (no hack required)

My original CBE-210 Battery Eliminator used with my ICOM F21 GM failed on a day ride during the 2009 BMW MOA Rally in Gray, TN. Actually, what failed was a wire external to the eliminator. I had cut the cable shorter years ago to remove the cigarette lighter plug and the coiled portion fo the cable and replace it with a pair of Anderson Powerpoles. One of the small gauge wires just broke, leaving me unable to use the radio for bike-to-bike communications with the other GS rider in our party.

After returning from the rally and extended trip to Wisconsin that followed, I ordered up a replacement battery eliminator from Batteries America. I happened to notice that the original CBE-210 was no longer available and had been replaced by the CBE-210N. I'm guessing, but I bet the N means "new". This morning, I snapped the new battery eliminator on the back of the radio and did a little testing.

Before I snapped it on, I took the opportunity to check to see if the "new" model connected the small metal contact in the back of the eliminator to the Negative power contact that connects to the radio. My last post detailed a "hack" that was required with the original CBE-210 to allow the radio to be operated at full power. The N model DOES make the necessary connection internally so I removed the aluminum foil "hack" from the inside of the radio. Cool!

The other thing I noticed was that the filtered DC output of the eliminator is no longer 9 VDC, but reduced to 8 VDC which is closer to the 7.2 VDC supplied by a normal battery pack. Interesting.

With the eliminator in place and connected to bike power, I did a few transmit tests to see if any of the annoying squealing sounds of the past could be heard on my signal and from the speakers in my helmet. Elizabeth and I took turns alternating between transmitting and listening on a spare radio.

I'm cautiously saying that the problem experienced over the years has gone away! There was definitely some alternator noise still present on my signal, but it was not disturbing the audio enough to worry about. Gone was the squealing that made it hard for others to hear what I was saying. It was also not heard in the helmet either. It's possible that the original CBE-210 was providing too many volts to the radio, causing the problem.

With this possible improvement, I need to take an extended ride with the guys and see what they think!

PrintView Printer Friendly Version

EmailEmail Article to Friend

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:
 
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>